Navigate the meeting window
The meeting window enables functions providing a high-quality, multi-faceted, engaging, and immersive collaboration experience. This is where the host can manage the meeting, and material is shared by the host or participants.
Meeting window view (when content is not being shared)
- Menu Toolbar: Access to Meeting Center tools and functions.
- Meeting Tabs: What you are looking at in the meeting: Quick Start, Meeting Info, and Shared Content.
- Shared Content Viewer: When someone is Sharing Content - a presentation, document, video files, whiteboards, etc. - this is where it will appear when its 'Meeting Tab' is selected.
- Quick Start: Visible when 'Quick Start' Meeting Tab is selected. Provides access to commonly used functions: Audio Connection, Sharing Content, and Inviting & Reminding.
- Panel(s) Displayed: Content - Participants, Chat, etc. - selected and displayed in 'Panels.'
- Panels: Provides areas for Chat, Polling, Q&A, Participants, etc. selected for display.
Use the Participants Panel
Icons in and below the Participants panel let you control your audio and video, as well as to interact with other attendees. If you are the meeting host, some functions are available by right-clicking with your mouse.
In the Participants panel:
|Click this ...||To do this ...|
|Start/stop sending your video|
|Mute/unmute your audio|
|Raise/lower your hand|
With the computer mouse:
If you are the host, you can also right-click a participant's name to display some functions.
Back to top
You can access options for sharing content during your meeting from the Share menu or from the sharing panel on the 'Quick Start' tab.
|Select this ...||To share this ...|
|My Screen||Share Everything on Your Computer Screen.|
|File (Including Video)||To share a file that doesn't need editing during the meeting, such as a PowerPoint presentation.|
|Application||To share a file that needs editing during the meeting. Meeting attendees can view the application even if not installed on their computers.|
|Whiteboard||To share a blank work area where you can collaborate with other meeting participants using both text and graphics tools. You must grant annotation privileges to other participants to give access to the tools.|
|Web Browser||To share a website where you guide the participants to various web pages, but where media effects, video, and sound are not playable.|
|Multimedia||To share a URL so participants can interact with the web page content independently, and experience the media effects, video, and sound from the website.|
|Remote Computer||If you're traveling and want to demonstrate a software application that's only licensed to your office computer, share files or applications that are located on a remote computer. Make sure you have installed the Access Anywhere agent on it.|
|My Meeting Window||Your host view of the entire meeting window. Close any private chat conversations before sharing your meeting window.|
To allow anyone to share:
If you are the meeting host, you can allow anyone to share during the meeting without first making them presenter.
Click Participants in the menu bar, then select Anyone Can Share. Now any meeting participant can share using any of the available sharing options.
Back to top
Use Annotation Tools
You can give participants access to annotation tools when you schedule your meeting, or while the meeting is in progress.
- Click an annotation tool to turn it on. Click again to turn the tool off.
|Select this ...||To do this ...|
|Click to show the Annotation tool when you're sharing content. Or on the Controls panel at the top of the screen, select 'Annotate'.|
To hide the Annotation tool, select Annotate again.
|Allow a specific participant to annotate by pressing the Right Arrow key and then selecting the participant's name.|
|Use the pointer to draw attention to specific points on the screen. Color is assigned when joining a session. Click, then select Arrow Pointer or Laser Pointer.|
|Use the text tool to add text. After typing, click to display the text to participants. Change the color by selecting from the color palette.|
|Use the line tool to draw straight lines. Change the color by selecting from the color palette. Click, then select a line type. Drag your mouse to draw.|
|Use the shape tool to draw squares, rectangles, ovals or circles, and to add check or X marks. Change the color by selecting from the color palette. Click, then select a shape or mark type.|
|Use the pen tool to draw freehand. Change the color by selecting from the color palette. Click, then select Pen (bold) or Pencil (fine).|
|Click to open the color palette, then select a color for the text, line, shape or pen tools. The selected color is used the next time you select the tool.|
|Click to select the eraser tool, then click on the annotation you want to erase. Or, click and select an option to clear pointers or annotations.|
|Save your annotations.|
Example of annotated whiteboard
Back to top
Participants can share and view video during a meeting.
To start and stop your video:
Click the video camera icon in the Participants panel: The icon turns green, and your video feed appears at the top of the Participants panel. Click the camera icon again to stop your video.
You can control video settings, as well as switch between cameras connected to your computer, by clicking the Set Video Options icon beneath the Participants panel: The 'Video Options' dialog appears.
Video view and list view
To see the thumbnail images of other panelists' video, move your mouse over your video, then select View video thumbnails.
Full Screen Mode
- To expand the video image to full-screen mode, move your mouse over the video, then select View all participants in full-screen view.
- To leave full-screen mode, click Exit Full-Screen View.
Back to top
Record your meeting
The Network-Based Recorder captures screen activity and audio on a WebEx recording server. The server processes your recorded data, and then sends the recording file to your personal recordings folder on your WebEx service site.
Recorded files are saved in the Advanced Recording Format (.arf), a proprietary WebEx format.
To use the recorder:
- Start your meeting.
- To start your recording:
- If the Quick Start page is displayed, click Record, or
- on the 'Meeting' menu, select Start Recording, or
- click the Recorder icon in the icon tray above the Participants panel.
- Once a connection is established, the Recorder panel opens and recording begins.
- Click the Pause button: when you want to stop recording briefly, and click it again to re-start.
- Click the Stop button: to end the recording completely. You are prompted to confirm that you want to stop recording.
Note: A new recording is created each time you stop recording and start again. If you pause and resume recording using the Pause button, only one recording is created.
- Navigate to My WebEx > My Files > My Recordings to access your recordings after the meeting ends.
Back to top
Muting and unmuting participants
Hosts can mute themselves, individuals, or all participants in three ways:
- Right click on the participant's name and select Mute
- Select the participant's name from the participant list and then select Mute from the Participant menu
- Select the participant's name and click the Mute button
Once the participant is muted, a 'Muted' icon appears:
You can unmute participants in two ways:
- Right click any participant and select Unmute or Unmute All
- Select a participant and then select Unmute or Unmute All from the Participant menu
Note: Participants can mute and unmute themselves following the instructions above.
Hosts can also set their WebEx conference to mute participants on entry into the conference:
- Select Mute on Entry from the Participant menu to mute participants as they join
Back to top
Expel unwanted participants
Hosts can expel unwanted participants from their WebEx meetings:
- Select the participant to be expelled.
- Select Expel from the Participant menu.
- You will be asked to confirm that you wish to expel the participant. The participant will be expelled from both the audio and WebEx sessions.
Back to top
Lock / Unlock Meeting
If you have back-to-back meetings or need privacy, lock the meeting once all attendees have joined. This will prevent additional attendees from joining.
Hosts can lock/unlock the meeting at any time while the session is in progress. To lock a meeting, select Lock Meeting from the 'Meeting' menu, or click the Lock Room icon on the 'Quick Start' tab.
When locked, a 'locked' icon is displayed in lower left corner of the screen:
To unlock a meeting, select Meeting > Unlock Meeting or click the 'Unlock room' icon:
Back to top